Sunday, November 10, 2013

Raising Memories of the Alma Mater


Nothing fancy about this picture, just a documentation of today's activity.  Ran the Ohio State 4 Miler today, paced under 11 minutes which made me happy.  Was fun running around my old haunts from college days, walked the same streets many times over a decade ago, probably never would have dreamed I would ever run them.  So there I stand in front of my old home at OSU, the place I resided for my first 2 years, it was kind of a strange feeling, kind of like being home, but yet the dorm is not even there anymore.  Before the race started we sang Carmen Ohio, I think as I get older I become more fond of it.


Carmen Ohio
Oh! Come let's sing Ohio's praise, 
And songs to Alma Mater raise; 
While our hearts rebounding thrill, 
With joy which death alone can still. 
Summer's heat or Winter's cold, 
The seasons pass, the years will roll; 
Time and change will surely show 
How firm thy friendship O-hi-o.

These jolly days of priceless worth, 
By far the gladest days of earth, 
Soon will pass and we not know, 
How dearly we love O-hi-o. 
We should strive to keep the name, 
Of fair repute and spotless fame, 
So, in college halls we'll grow, 
To love thee better, O-hi-o.

Tho' age may dim our mem'ry's store, 
We'll think of happy days of yore,
True to friend and frank to foe, 
As sturdy sons of O-hi-o. 
If on seas of care we roll, 
'Neath blackened sky, o'er barren shoal, 
Tho'ts of thee bid darkness go, 
Dear Alma Mater O-hi-o. 


Perhaps that is part of what the song is saying. 

It was cold and the wind was blowing, but after a mile or two was sweating and ready to shed some layers.  Well worth the effort of getting there and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment