Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dear Friends and Neighbors

I have been blessed to have Anna as my neighbor.  And I want her to always be my neighbor.  She moved today, but she is still my neighbor.  She moved up on the hill.  I can see her lights from my place.  She was my sister's friend when they were in high school, they are still friends, but over the years she has become a friend of mine also, and now she is my neighbor.  She has been my neighbor for a while.  She lived in the chicken house and now she lives in the house on hill, with amazing windows and an awesome view of the valley.  I pray God paints the most beautiful scenes of the valley for each day she looks through those windows.
Memories of Anna, start with Beethoven, at least I think it was Beethoven and a high school film, that she made for class with my sister.  I remember visits from her when I was sequestered to the couch after my eye surgeries.  She is a great foodie, but then so is her husband Joe.  I always enjoy sharing new things I make with them.  I treasure a cookbook Joe and her gave me one year.  Wooden cover, laser cut of course.  I also have a sign for my bathroom, laser cut, "Two sheets only please."  Playing bottle caps.  Watching football games at their home in Massillon and also in the chicken house.  "How to Host a Murder".  Always a delight.  Fall Parties.  New Year's Eve.  What is New Year's Eve without Joe and Anna?  Spa Nights.  Always a smile.  Charming.  Bottlecaps.  Croquet.  Sending fun creative packages from writers, yes I will admit it was me.  The post master even chuckled when I sent one from Charles Dickens.

Here is a haiku I wrote, for Anna:


my lovely neighbor
full of smiles, wit, and charm   (and grace)
bravely fighting on

I also wrote this haiku, at the same time, but I never gave it to her.


i do not have time        5
Not for this, never for this  7
Yet torn from my grasp  5

That is how I feel, I just want to make it all go away, I sing “our God is Healer”, so why doesn’t he heal,  LORD HEAL HER, please.  I’ve been singing this for almost two years. 

I wrote this last september, it is true now as ever.  When I was in Costa Rica this past summer I experienced God in a new way.  One of the youth from the church there was having a vision and they were all praying for him.  The kids from our youth group spent time in prayer for him also and finally he was able to overcome the darkness he was fighting.  Then they asked to pray for one of our youth and she heard God speaking to her.  Then, the pastor's wife came and asked if she could pray for me.  I said yes, but I didn't know what to expect, because God was moving powerfully in that moment.   (Note: I have struggled with stomach problems, IBS, for years)  As she was praying I became very weak and could not stay upright.  I was afraid, I laid on the ground and prayed for Jesus to hold my hand, I felt peace, the fear went away, and gradually I gained my strength.  She told me I was healed.  I didn't know what to think, I wanted to believe, but I had struggled so long.  The pastor said I would believe because it wouldn't come back.  I haven't had the problems I had before since.  But I struggle, why would God heal me, I wish He would heal Anna.  That is what I want.  I am grateful, I thank God, but I feel inadequate.  I could deal with my stomach, most of the time.  I want Anna for my neighbor, for my friend, all the time.


An early Fall Party.



I think she out danced you Joe.

A more recent Fall Party, but still a couple years ago.

Spa Night.
Anna, I think only with this group would I want to be caught with
that stuff on my face.
Checking the toes.
Picnics at Mom and Dad's, crazy times, it is always a blast when you
guys join us, and thanks for the invite to the movies last Christmas.  Fun Memories.

What a crew, I can always count on you to be in character and ready
for action.


What is this?  Did we leave you in the hallway?


Praying for Anna, as well as Joe.



1 comment:

  1. We are missing her already. You are welcome up to the house anytime, neighbor. Joe

    ReplyDelete