Friday, April 29, 2022

Y is for...Yonder....and Yikes


Talleras Prairie, Kansas

I stood on the prairie and gazed over yonder at the bison grazing the hills.  I set down my pack and pulled out my sketchbook and painted the scene.  The sky was blue, the grass was green, it was a beautiful day on the prairie.  I had talked my friend into hiking out to see the bison, despite her sore ankle.  On our walk back, my friend suddenly jumped to the middle of the path and looked suspiciously at the high grass and said "I heard something".  Sure enough, I looked and there was a Speckled King Snake.  She never got tired of telling me that I "tried to kill her."  Just for reference, they aren't poisonous but they do shake their tail when startled - which is probably what she heard.

Yikes...Speckled King Snake

Bison over yonder.



2 comments:

  1. Snakes scare me! Even if I saw a garter snake I would be running for the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great view. Bison are amazing to see. Snakes, well, it can go either way.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete