Saturday, April 16, 2022

N is for...Neglect



This house sat up on a hill overlooking my childhood home.  When I was young my neighbors who lived here had several children.  The older girl would babysit us and the younger girl was one of my few neighborhood friends, there in the rural countryside, and the boys would drive us to Bible school in the summer, that is, until they moved away when I was 7 or 8.  Then it sat empty for a number of years, until another family moved in around the time I was in high school.  They stayed for a few years and then they too moved away and it sat empty even longer.  The owners of the home lived in a large city about an hour or so away and the house had been passed down through the generations.  They couldn't agree to sell it, but they didn't spend time keeping it up either.  

More recently, they must have agreed to sell it because my parents told me new owners had bought the land.  The house with its lovely woodwork and beautiful bay window that looked out over the valley was no longer worth fixing though and a few months after the sunny afternoon that I spent doing this sketch, the new owners tore it down.  So now that spot on the hilltop with its neglected house sits empty waiting for someone else to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment