Thursday, November 24, 2022

The Delta

 After I left my friends in Oxford, Mississippi and walked the grounds of Rowan Oak, I made my way west towards the Mississippi and south into the Mississippi Delta to learn about the start of blues music.  By the end of the day, music by people I had never heard of before crooned from my radio as I crossed the Mississippi into Arkansas.  Muddy Waters, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Wade Walton, and more.  My first stop was Clarkdale, Mississippi where I wished I had planned to spend more time.  I had originally planned to go through Memphis and see the civil rights museum there, but my friends suggested they thought I would like the Mississippi Delta.  So in the end I headed that way.   I knew nothing about Blues music, but after spending a couple hours at The Delta Blues Museum and making a visit to Cat Head Delta Blues and Folk Arts Store I was wishing I had more time.  There was live blues music at various venues that afternoon/evening and a walking tour around town taunted me to stay long, but sunlight would be fleeting till I reached my destination in Hot Springs, Arkansas.  So if you ever find yourself near Clarksdale, Mississippi spend a few more hours there for me.

I continued on south stopping at a pottery shop which had a very pleasant garden to walk through, drove through miles of farm land with dust kicked up by combines in the field, and chatted with a farmer who asked if I had driven through rain.  I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a rainbow stretched out across the sky.  Then in Greenville I got an afternoon snack of hot tamales at Doe's Eat Place and took a hike through a cypress brake before turn west and traversed the mighty Mississippi.  

Taking this route I went right by Hoot's BBQ, a favorite restaurant of mine that I had been to on a road trip to Louisiana a number of years ago with my friend Sara.  I ordered a Pig Pie to go and I wasn't disappointed, it was as good as I remembered.  In the end it was dark when I pulled into my campsite at Hot Springs National Park.  



Clarksdale, Mississippi




A Garden to Explore



Rainbow in the Sky over the Delta



Hot Tamales at Doe's Eat Place







Cypress Brake



                       

Pig Pies make me happy.

               




No comments:

Post a Comment