Wednesday, March 30, 2022

A New Day. A New Year. A New Name.


I stopped to talk to a friend just the other day and we were talking of how I started sketching.  I never felt I could draw much, but I have found the more you do it, the better you become.  I first began to think maybe I could do this drawing thing, during the few months I lived in the Peace House.  It was a house where students could rent a room, about half were international and half were from the United States.  I only stayed there for 3 months, sharing a room with my sister while I finished the last of my student clinical work.  In the evenings I had a lot of free time because I didn't really have any homework, so I would fill my evenings with reading to the neighbor kids, doing puzzles, and shooting baskets in the backyard.  One day, I found a package of art pastels in a cupboard in the kitchen/dining room and asked if I could use them.  They had been left there by a family who had lived there before and left a some months before I came and the new caretakers didn't think they would mind if I used them, so I began to spend my afternoons sitting at my sister's desk, looking out the window and sketching anything I could think of.  Inspired by something I saw or something that happened that day and I found I really enjoyed it.

I kept it up some once I left the Peace House, but soon I was working full time and finding many other things to fill my time, until about 4 years ago.  Over the years between I had still found great joy in art supplies and frequently tried out different things and recently had gotten a box of watercolors with a water brush.  I took it with me when I went on vacation to Upper Peninsula Michigan and one afternoon, I decided to try to sketch/paint the sailboat at the dock and it struck me, that was fun, I should do that more. And thus began my sketching and watercolor.

And now four years later, I am pondering just stepping back from my job for a year and spending some focused time sketching.  Not trying to use it as a job but just to spend time enjoying the process and sharing joy with others.  I don't know exactly what I am doing, it takes a bit of faith, but if I am brave enough and maybe crazy enough to take that step, I am excited to know what adventure I will find.  So for the next month my plan is to post a sketch from the past 4 years on my blog for A to Z Blogging Challenge.  In honor of this I am changing the name of my blog-it may change again but since this is April and not November, and sketching not writing, I felt a change was appropriate --however I am not changing the web address, just the title of the blog, so long live the nano rebel!

The sketch I added today is one from over 20 years ago, made with those pastels I found forgotten in the cupboard.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I like the memory of it, the love you talk about for sketching and the arts, some hobbies are cherished! Do keep sketching and good name for the blog! Here from the A-Z roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete